Elected Tax Receiver & Town Clerk Become Appointed Positions
Combine Into One New Office
The creation of a combined Tax Receiver/Clerk's Office into a new entity provisionally known as the Office of the Tax Receiver & Town Administrative Services would accomplish the following:
- Elimination of two elected official positions.
- Replacement of these positions with a professional tax collection and municipal administrative service professional.
- Streamlining of the staffing for this united office in accordance with Town needs and collective bargaining contracts.
- Financial savings depending on ultimate staffing pattern.
- And perhaps most importantly, greater resident convenience through organization of services in one location and streamlining of town administrative practices (e.g. document submission) through singular professional oversight
Currently, the all-in staffing cost of the Tax Receiver's Office and the Town Clerk's Office, which together include six positions, exceeds $500,000 annually. By combining the offices and reorganizing them, our budget director has generated three scenarios that would reduce staffing to 4 positions (savings of approximately $130,000) or 5 positions (savings of approximately $50,000). These costs include all contractual benefits. While they are only baseline scenarios that are subject to further analysis based on workflow and staffing needs, there is a clear path to reducing total expenditures if the offices were combined and reorganized.